Spotted a few grey streaks recently? If your black mop has started showing slivers of silver, and you are just not ready to rock the salt and pepper look, don’t worry. Don’t rush to cut off the grey hair just yet. While there’s absolutely nothing wrong with grey hair, and we think it looks gorgeous, there are natural home remedies for grey hair, if you’re not ready for these stunning silver streaks just yet.
There are various theories as to why hair turns grey. Mostly, it’s because the production of pigmentation (the one which gives our hair its original colour) reduces. It can also happen if your hair starts producing hydrogen peroxide on its own for various reasons and starts a self-bleaching process.
What causes grey hair?
From causes as common as improper hair care, excessive smoking, pollution, chronic stress and hereditary factors, to serious diseases and problems like tuberculosis, malnutrition, hypothyroidism, or vitiligo, there are several causes of grey hair.
How to prevent grey hair?
If you are cautious from the beginning, you can prevent the advent of premature greying. Here are a few practices which should be a part of your daily lifestyle:
- Foster and maintain a healthy environment for hair growth. Keep your scalp clean, and avoid using hair products with harsh chemicals, no matter what the promised result is. It is advisable to use a mild shampoo and conditioner to moisturise your hair from roots to tips. Massage your scalp regularly as it increases blood circulation and promotes hair growth.
- Protect your hair from tearing, breaking and other damage. Do not wash your hair with cold water, and make sure that your hair has dried properly before you comb or tie them up. If in a polluted or dusty area, cover your hair with a dupatta or a stole. It is highly recommended that you wear shower caps to public pools as they contain chlorine which is harmful for hair.
- Eat a healthy diet. Include food which is rich in iron and vitamins as they are responsible for the growth of your hair. Avoid smoking, drinking alcohol, caffeine, and junk food.
- Avoid stress, and exercise regularly, to keep your mind and body free of harmful toxins.
If you are already greying, we have a few natural home remedies for grey hair which you can easily try at home. So, if your grey hair is bothering you for some reason, give these a shot.
1. Shikakai powder
Shikakai is full of vitamins and antioxidants, and it’s one of the best ingredients to add to your hair care routine. It makes your hair and scalp healthier. Make a paste of shikakai powder and yogurt, and apply it to your scalp, leaving it in for an hour. Wash off normally.
2. Amla and fenugreek seeds
Amla is known for its several health benefits, especially for hair care. Amla is great for hair growth, shine and to maintain the gorgeous colour of your mane. Get some amla powder and fenugreek/methi powder, and mix them with coconut oil on medium heat till the ingredients come together. Apply this mixture on your scalp, and keep it overnight. Wash your hair in the morning like usual.
Desi ghee, or clarified butter, is another option to treat grey hair. The enzymes in ghee act as a reversing agent and bring out your natural hair colour. Apply 2 tbsp of ghee to your scalp, massage, and leave it in for about 30 minutes. Rinse off as usual and see the amazing results.
Henna is a natural staining agent that turns your hair dark red or brown and is a healthier alternative to chemical dyes. If you use black henna, you can get the desired result of black hair. Mix henna powder with water to make a paste. Apply it carefully on your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes, covering your hair with a shower cap. Rinse off as usual.
5. Honey and ginger
Ginger contains a number of vitamins and minerals that help to strengthen and nourish your hair. Along with honey, it makes for a great remedy for the treatment of grey hair. Mix a tablespoon of honey with some grated ginger and consume it once a day, every day to reduce grey hair.
6. Coconut oil and curry leaves
Curry leaves help restore the melanin in your hair. Melanin is the pigment responsible for your hair colour, and curry leaves, mixed with coconut oil, help in retaining this colour. Take 15-20 curry leaves, and boil them in half a cup of coconut oil till they turn dark. Once the mixture has cooled down, strain it and apply on your scalp and hair. Leave it on overnight. Wash it off in the morning as usual and do this at least twice a week.
Onions help increase the levels of catalase, which is responsible for the dark colour of our hair. Using onion juice or extract is one of the most effective home remedies for grey hair. Extract the juice of an onion and massage your scalp with it for at least an hour in order to prevent further greying.
8. Essential oils
Essential oils such as neem, clove, arnica, and brahmi are also useful in treating grey hair. Massage your scalp regularly with any of these oils. One of the easiest remedies for grey hair!
Try these remedies for grey hair and let us know which one worked for you.