You’ve hit thirty and your beautiful black mop is streaked with shiny silver hair and you are just not ready to rock the salt and pepper look yet? Don’t rush to the barber just yet, read on for help.
There are various theories as to why hair turns grey. Mostly, it’s because the production of pigmentation (the one which renders our hair the original colour) reduces or when our hair starts producing hydrogen peroxide on its own for various reasons and starts a self-bleaching process. Let’s take a closer look.
What causes grey hair?
From causes as common as improper care of hair, smoking, pollution, stress and pedigree to complex diseases such as Tuberculosis, Neurofibromatosis, Malnutrition, Pernicious Anemia, Werner Syndrome, Vitamin B12 deficiency, Hypothyroidism, Albinism, Vitiligo can cause grey hair.
How to prevent their occurrence?
If you are cautious from the very beginning, you can prevent the advent of the so-called silver linings prematurely. Here are a few ways to go about it:
- Foster and maintain a healthy environment for the growth of your hair. Keep your scalp clean, and avoid using hair products with harsh chemicals, no matter what the promised result is. It is advisable to use a mild shampoo and conditioner and moisturize your hair completely, from the root to the tip. Also, massage the scalp from time to time as it increases the circulation of blood and promotes hair growth.
- Protect your hair from tearing, breaking and other damage. Do not wash your hair with cold water, and make sure that your hair has dried properly before you comb or tie them up. If in a polluted or dusty area, cover your hair with a dupatta or a stole. Also, it is highly recommended that you wear shower caps to public pools as they contain a high content of chlorine which is harmful for the hair.
- Indulge in a healthy diet. Have products which are rich in iron and vitamins as they are responsible for the growth of your hair. Avoid smoking, drinking alcohol, caffeine and junk food.
- Avoid stress and exercise regularly to have both a mind and body free of harmful toxins.
If you already have grey hair, you can always adopt these simple home remedies off your kitchen shelf
1. Honey and Ginger: Mix a tablespoon of honey with some grated ginger and take it once a day, everyday to reduce grey hair.
Picture Credits- elevatedolive.com
2. Coconut Oil and Lemon: Take coconut oil and lemon juice in equal parts and massage your scalp with the mixture to regain your long, luscious, black hair.
Picture Credits- goodhairdiaries.com
3. Onion: Extract the juice of an onion and massage your scalp with it for at least an hour before you to wash it off in order to prevent premature greying.
Picture Credits- maliktradersltd.com
4. Essential oils such as those of Neem, Clove, Arnica, and Brahmi Hair oil are also useful in combating grey hair. Just regularly massage your scalp with these.
Picture Credits- vadikherbs.com
Featured Picture Credits- thefitindian.com